COVID-19 WORKING GROUP
"COVID-19 has presented new challenges across the entire Marine Transportation System (MTS) that require a coordinated approach to ensure the continued efficient operation of our national supply chain… [we are] committed to ensuring that the CMTS partnership is well-positioned to support enhanced collaboration through the COVID-19 Working Group." RDML Rich Timme Assistant Commandant for Prevention Policy, U.S. Coast Guard, Chair, CMTS Coordinating Board
The COVID-19 Working Group (C-19 WG) serves as the CMTS forum for facilitating high-level interagency discussion, communication, and actions in support of the MTS under and after COVID-19.
Enhanced interagency discussion and communication regarding the impact on the MTS will ensure that Federal MTS partners are providing the best and most effective support to the MTS under and after the pandemic
Working Group Team Leads
- Maritime Administration
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
- Federal Maritime Commission
- Maritime Administration (MARAD)
- Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
- National Maritime Intelligence-Integration Office (NMIO)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Department of State (DOS)
- U.S. Department of the Treasury
- U.S. Department of Transportation Office of the Secretary (OST)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Navy, Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI)
- U.S. Transportation Command (USTC)
Areas of Focus
- Facilitate interagency communications and stakeholder engagement
- Review federal policies, regulatory practices and guidance impacting safe, effective and efficient operation of the MTS under and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Review and provide comments on MTS industry developed COVID-19 Best Practices and Resources.
- Share and improve resources for addressing U.S. merchant mariner mental health and safety.
- Assess MTS performance under and after COVID-19 pandemic and develop lessons learned.
Activities and Milestones
- CMTS COVID-19 Working Group Nov 18, 2020 Webinar: COVID-19 Testing Strategies for U.S. Merchant Mariners - Slides
- Catalog of COVID-19 Federal Guidance and References for the U.S. Maritime Industry
- Catalog of COVID-19 Best Management Practices for the U.S. Maritime Industry
- Catalog of Mental Health Resources for U.S. Merchant Mariners and Critical Workforce in the Marine Transportation System